By Peter Jeff
The Leadership Mints Guy
Here’s an idea to help you stay positive in your outlook. Reading time: 1:13
Consider this “Reality Show” out of the history books whenever you’re having a bad day.
1. WILLIAM HENRY HARRISON caught a cold and died 30 days 12 hours and 30 minutes after he became president of the United States in 1841–the shortest presidential administration in the history of the United States.
2. GENERAL GEORGE PATTON who dodged enemy bullets for many years was killed in a car accident when an army truck ran into his limousine on the day before he was to leave Germany for the United States.
3. GENERAL STONEWALL JACKSON of Civil War fame was accidentally killed by his own men.
4. GREEK SOOTHSAYER CALCHAS laughed himself to death, choking while drinking wine.
5. GALILEO, the first man to peer to the heavens through a telescope, died blind.
6. JOHN PAUL JONES, the famed naval hero, was tried for rape and died penniless.
7. CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS, the first to see the new world, died penniless as did composer Amadeus Mozart and artist Vincent Van Gogh.
8. AUGUSTE RODIN, the sculptor, froze to death.
9. JULIUS CAESAR, a war hero, was assassinated. He suffered 23 blows with a dagger.
10. Four US Presidents were assassinated while in office: (ABRAHAM LINCOLN, JAMES A. GARFIELD, WILLIAM MCKINLEY, JOHN F. KENNEDY).
No matter how dire the circumstances, leaders keep everything in perspective. Indeed, no matter how bad their day, they know that someone else is having an even worse day. So scrap the Pity Party in your office. And unleash your Pithy Repartee of resilience more than defiance.
Ground your problem analysis in perspective to keep your leadership thinking in mint condition.
SUBSCRIBE: Have a Leadership Mint delivered to your E-mail every business day. It’s free. Just click the SIGN ME UP box in the upper left column.
Filed under: Perception | Tagged: choking to death, Columbus, Columbus died penniless, death, dying, dying blind, dying penniless, Galieo, George Pattton, ironic twists of fate, irony, killed by your own men, laughing yourself to death, Mozart, Mozart died penniless, President Harrison, staying positive when things go wrong, Stonewall Jackson |