By Peter Jeff
The Leadership Mints Guy
Here’s an idea to strengthen your focus on teamwork. Reading time: 3:23
Look closely at a single feather of a peacock’s tail and you’ll see a dull brown color. But, collectively, those dull colored individual feathers display a spectacular array of colors. Out of many individually lifeless feathers comes collectively one brilliant blast of beauty.
Physicists call this phenomenon “Diffraction.” The colorful plume blossoms like a bouquet of flowers from the way light is diffracted from and through each of the other dull brown feathers.
Leaders call this phenomenon – the power of teamwork- where the power of many strengthens the scope and significance of an individual entity. Out of many, one. E pluribus Unum.
No wonder the most effective leaders know how to fan the peacock’s plume—COLLECTIVELY– rather than simply focus on managing each feather individually. After all, an ant weighs one ten-thousandth of an ounce yet collectively all ants on earth weigh more than all the humans on earth. Collectively, you maximize performance. Collectively, you arrange bouquets more than simply pick flowers. E pluribus Unum.
• Wine is comprised of 15 different flavor characteristics working together.
• Chocolate has 12 different flavor characteristics.
• Coffee has 8-9 different flavor characteristics.
• A piano has 235 different strings.
• A six-minute Bugs Bunny cartoon took 5,000 different drawings.
• Every word in Braille is comprised of some 40-50 protruding raised dots.
• And it takes 19 different pieces of cloth to make a pair of jeans.
E pluribus Unum. Out of many one. Peacock Power- energizing leadership one feather at a time.
Arrange bouquets rather than simply pick flowers to keep your leadership thinking in mint condition.
SUBSCRIBE: Have a Leadership Mint delivered to your E-mail every business day. It’s free. Just click the SIGN ME UP box in the upper left column.